Logo Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri
Area IstituzionaleAttività Sanitaria e di PrevenzioneAttività di Ricerca ScientificaAttività Formativa e Congressuale
ISPGR XIX Satellite PreConference.
> Centro Studi Attività Motorie (CSAM)
> News
- Laboratory & Setting
> Equipment
> Grants
> Research Topics
> Publications
> People & Profiles
Centro Studi Attività Motorie (CSAM)
Home Page
Laboratory & Setting
The Human Movement Laboratory
The group in the Human Movement Laboratory ‘CSAM’ (Centro Studi Attività Motorie) is located in the Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri at the Institute of Pavia, on the basis of an agreement with the University of Pavia. It is coordinated by Marco Schieppati, MD and Professor of Physiology at the Medical School of the University of Pavia.

The Laboratory, founded in 2000 by Prof. Emanuele Capodaglio, initially focused on ergonomy and work psychology, movement in the elderly, analysis of muscle contraction and fatigue. More recently, the studies have been expanded to investigate the control of balance under static and dynamic conditions, body orientation in space, walking under linear and curved trajectories, effects of proprioceptive input on stance and gait.

Since 2001, it is established as Centro FIRB (Fondi per l’Investimento nella Ricerca di Base) on the basis of a grant from the Italian Ministry of University.

The group presently includes a University Researcher (Dr Micaela Schmid, engineer), a post-doc Fellow (Dr Alessandro Marco De Nunzio, engineer) and a Technician (Dr Maria Vittoria Beretta). There is a standing collaboration with the Posture & Movement Laboratory at the Institute of Veruno belonging to the same Foundation, coordinated by Dr. Antonio Nardone, MD and University Researcher in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Medical School of the University of Eastern Piedmont in Novara.

The Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri
The Fondazione was established in 1965 as ‘Clinica del Lavoro’ (private institution by Presidential Decree n. 991, June 15th 1965) on the initiative of Professor Salvatore Maugeri. It was recognised as Institute of Scientific in-patients Care (IRCCS) by the Italian Governmental Decree on November 1st 1969.

Purpose of the Institute is to work in the field of the protection of occupational health and prevention of occupational risks, and in the field of rehabilitation, in order to recover the functional abilities of patients with neuro-motor, cardio-respiratory and chronic disabilities.
The main mission is to help the disabled patients’ socio-occupational reintegration, and to prevent handicap.

At present, the Salvatore Maugeri Foundation consists of the home Institute of Pavia, of ten other Institutes for Rehabilitative Medicine across Italy, and three Centres for Prevention in the Environmental and Occupational Hygiene. Between each single Institute and the local University there are mutual exchanges of skills, knowledge and experience.

The University of Pavia
825 A.D. and 1361 A.D.: these two dates mark the beginning of the University of Pavia, the more ancient Athenaeum of the Lombardy (we would claim of Italy) and one of the most ancient in Europe. Back to the 825 goes the ‘Capitolare of Lothar’ emperor, who constituted in Pavia the ‘School of Rhetoric’ for the civil employees of the reign; the ‘Studium Generale’ was founded by Carl IV in 1361: a legal and literary school of great distinction, which was attended by students from all over Europe. The XVIII century, with the radical reform of Maria Theresia and Joseph II of Habsburg, was one of the periods of greatest reputation for the University of Pavia.

Numerous were the famous teachers, from the naturalist Lazzaro Spallanzani, who proved that microbes come from the air and that are killed through boiling, to the mathematician Lorenzo Mascheroni, the physicist Alessandro Volta, who taught Physics Experiences and was Chancellor of the Athenaeum and inventor of the electrical battery, to the physician Antonio Scarpa, who described the structure of the inner ear.

Among the great masters of the Napoleon age, there were in Pavia the poets Vincenzo Monti and Ugo Foscolo, who gave in 1809 the famous talk ‘Of the origin and the office of the literature’, and many illustrious physicians, like Carlo Forlanini, inventor of the pneumothorax for the therapy of the pulmonary tuberculosis, and Camillo Golgi, Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1906. Beside Golgi, other two teachers of the University of Pavia won the Nobel prize: the chemist Giulio Natta (1963) and the physicist Carlo Rubbia (1984).

Today the Alma Ticinensis Universitas of Pavia offers, in the three centres of Pavia, Cremona and Mantova, 9 schools and 103 bachelor courses; it is proposed like a Research University, it participates to international plans and it is inserted in networks with the greatest colleges of the world, it promotes interdisciplinary research in collaboration with industrial companies. The University of Pavia is a campus fit to students, with beyond 24.000 enrolled, 15 university colleges, where boys and girls exchange ideas and plans, plan their future at the best.
To these young people the pavese Athenaeum guarantees a path of personalized guideline, 1600 scholarships, 310 programs of exchange with Universities of the entire world, 3300 occasions of stage and contacts with the enterprises.